About the Synvisc® Family
The SYNVISC® family of viscosupplements provide up to 6 months of OA knee pain relief with a single course of
SYNVISC®/Synvisc-One® delivers a nonsystemic solution for your OA knee pain relief needs.1,2
In a study of patients treated with SYNVISC, most patients who were taking concomitant
therapy for OA knee pain reported less or discontinued use of analgesics, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), and glucocorticoids.3
- Local treatment-related adverse events (AEs) were reported in 4.2% of patients and 2.4% of injections3
“[Viscosupplementation] is an important conservative treatment modality in the care and treatment of patients with OA of the knee.”4
— Bert JM, Waddell DD. Ther Adv Musculoskelet Dis. 2010;2(3):127-132.
In separate, head-to-head clinical trials, only the SYNVISC family of viscosupplements demonstrated superior OA knee pain relief versus all of the following:
ICS = intra-articular corticosteroid
View SYNVISC vs noncrosslinked sodium hyaluronate study details.
View additional head-to-head study details.
The SYNVISC family of viscosupplements has an established safety profile.5,6,10
SYNVISC and Synvisc-One have been included in more than 300 publications and used to treat more than 15 million knees worldwide.11
- SYNVISC (hylan G-F 20) [prescribing information]. Cambridge, MA: Genzyme Corporation; 2014.
- Synvisc-One (hylan G-F 20) [prescribing information]. Cambridge, MA: Genzyme Corporation; 2014.
- Kemper F, Gebhardt U, Meng T, Murray C. Tolerability and short-term effectiveness of hylan
G-F 20 in 4253 patients with osteoarthritis of the knee in clinical practice. Curr Med Res Opin. 2005;21(8):1261-1269.
- Bert JM, Waddell DD. Viscosupplementation with hylan G-F 20 in patients with osteoarthrosis
of the knee. Ther Adv Musculoskelet Dis. 2010;2(3):127-132.
- Wobig M, Dickhut A, Maier R, Vetter G. Viscosupplementation with hylan G-F 20: a 26-week
controlled trial of efficacy and safety in the osteoarthritic knee. Clin Ther. 1998;20(3):410-423.
- Chevalier X, Jerosch J, Goupille P, et al. Single, intra-articular treatment with 6 ml hylan G-F
20 in patients with symptomatic primary osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomised, multicentre,
double-blind, placebo controlled trial. Ann Rheum Dis. 2010;69(1):113-119.
- Caborn D, Rush J, Lanzer W, Parenti D, Murray C; Synvisc 901 Study Group. A randomized, single-blind comparison of the efficacy and tolerability of hylan G-F 20 and triamcinolone hexacetonide in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee. J Rheumatol. 2004;31(2):333-343.
- Adams ME, Atkinson MH, Lussier AJ, et al. The role of viscosupplementation with hylan G-F 20 (Synvisc) in the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee: a Canadian multicenter trial comparing hylan G-F 20 alone, hylan G-F 20 with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and NSAIDs alone. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 1995;3(4):213-225.
- Raman R, Dutta A, Day N, Sharma HK, Shaw CJ, Johnson GV. Efficacy of hylan G-F 20 and sodium hyaluronate in the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee—a prospective randomized
clinical trial. Knee. 2008;15(4):318-324.
- Kemper F, Gebhardt U, Meng T, Murray C. Tolerability and short-term effectiveness of hylan G-F 20 in 4253 patients with osteoarthritis of the knee in clinical practice. Curr Med Res Opin.
- IMS sales data, 2017